2008 was a trying year. It proved to be much more difficult than last year, that’s for sure, and more often than not, I wanted nothing more than to crawl beneath my blankets and disappear for periods at a time. Yet, despite all the hardships and troubles that seemed to overtake me, I learned more about myself and found that if I just breathed, I could have a wonderful year.
The New York Giants took on the New England Patriots and broke their “perfect” record of the season. There are no words to describe the overwhelming excitement and pride I felt at the very moment the score suddenly changed with so little time left. I took off work for the NY and NJ celebrations – I lined up for the ticker-tape parade at 6am and had a prime spot right near Town Hall. Immediately after the floats disappeared, I booked it back to Giants Stadium for a fantastic rally.
Legally Blonde ended its run and I was there for the final show. It was a spur-of-the-moment ticket and though I wasn’t a huge fan of the show, it was worth it to see Orfeh own the stage one last time.
RENT, one of the first Broadway shows I really obsessed over, had its final bow in September. The ticket price was hefty but it was worth everything to be there for an emotional and beautiful night. Friends gathered for the final lottery and then later that night, we made our way into the Nederlander.
Dave came up for “The Suicidal Day of Theatre,” a day we shared with Devon. Dave and I saw four shows back-to-back – Xanadu, Forbidden Broadway, Naked Boys Singing, and Altar Boyz – and Devon joined us for all but the first. It was crazy and insane and we only had a short time to grab dinner but it was fun.
When I was a sophomore in college, Joe designed a special tattoo for me – it was all four of my initials put together to form an almost-tribal-looking eye with a teardrop. Finally, finally, I had it done with a few minor modifications while I visited Florida once again with family. It’s my favorite tattoo so far of the three I have and it’s very personal and 100% me.
May 18th marked a sad day for Spring Awakening. Jonathan Groff and Lea Michele, the two amazing leads, did their final performance. Luckily, I snagged front row tickets to the show and it was just absolutely wow. The show wasn’t perfect; in fact, it was downright annoying sometimes with the unnecessary screams from the crowd, but I honestly would not change a single part of it. I miss them in the show but they are already doing amazing things on their own.
My second sister got married! The wedding was a lot of fun, even though I couldn’t get drunk and something spilled on my dress.
Once upon a time, I had a best friend named Kristine. We were close from the time we were four or five and pretty much grew up together until I moved away in the beginning of 5th grade. We hadn’t spoken or seen each other since then, almost 13-14 years, but I saw her this year. It was for a less-than-good situation, but it really put things in perspective and I was glad I was able to be there for her, if only for a small period of time.
Barack Obama was elected the 44th President of the United States of America. My heart exploded.
Red Hot Mia broke down. She went from a 6-cylinder to a 5-cylinder overnight and I had no choice but to give her up. She’s served me well since my senior year of high school so it was a bit unnerving to get rid of her. I then went from my big ’95 4Runner to a new, tiny, silver Fit who has been dubbed Victoria.
- LOOSE GIRL, kerry cohen
- GREAT KISSES, timothy knight
- I WANT CANDY, kim wong keltner
- CANDY EVERYBODY WANTS, josh kilmer-purcell
- THIS YEAR’S MODEL, carol alt
- CHALKED UP, jennifer sey
- THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE, c.s. lewis
- THE WORST CALL EVER, kyle garlett
- CRAVE, cathy yardley
- TWILIGHT, stephenie meyer
- NEW MOON, stephenie meyer
- ECLIPSE, stephenie meyer
- BREAKING DAWN, stephenie meyer
- GILDING LILY, tatiana boncompagni
- PRINCE CASPIAN, c.s. lewis
- THE HIT CHARADE, tyler gray
- EVERNIGHT, claudia gray
- RAMPANT, diana peterfreund
- TWILIGHT: THE COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED MOVIE COMPANION, mark cotta vaz
- WICKED LOVELY, melissa marr
- WINGS, aprilynne pike
- RAVISH, cathy yardley
- IN THE FLESH, david cote
- COMMUNION, whitley strieber
- CHRISTMAS ON JANE STREET, billy romp with wanda urbanska
- A VERY MARLEY CHRISTMAS, john grogan
- SERVICE INCLUDED, phoebe damrosch
- HANNAH’S DREAM, diane hammond
- THE LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF STYLE, nina garacia
- THE GREY’S ANATOMY GUIDE TO HEALING WITH LOVE, dr. sydney heron
- SCHOOLED, anisha lhakhani
- ALTAR BOYZ, 18
- SPRING AWAKENING, 11
- RENT, 2
- LEGALLY BLONDE
- LEGALLY BLONDE national tour
- NEXT TO NORMAL
- LES MISERABLES
- LES MISERABLES regional production
- PRAYER FOR MY ENEMY
- EQUUS, 2
- XANADU, 5
- FORBIDDEN BROADWAY: RUDE AWAKENING
- NAKED BOYS SINGING
- IN THE HEIGHTS, 4
- HAIR at the delacorte, 2
- [TITLE OF SHOW]
- YOU’RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN benefit
- EDWARD THE SECOND
- MONSTERS reading
- LEA MICHELE at feinstein’s at the regency, 3
- THE SPRING AWAKENING HOLIDAY CONCERT, 2
- WANT THE CHANGE
- SPICE GIRLS
- LA SALLE VARIETY SHOW
- JOE ICONIS ROCK’n’ROLL JAMBOREE
- OLD SPRINGS PIKE
- AT THIS PERFORMANCE
- FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS
- DREAMING WIDE AWAKE cd release concert
- SETH’S BROADWAY 101
- CHRISTOPHER CABARET